Xbox One Revealed
Its not surprising that Sony’s share price has increased by 8.54 per cent in the hours following the reveal of Xbox One. To be honest, the reveal was disappointing, the device looked bulky, ugly and yes, its not backward-compatible and it blocks used games, unless you pay a fee to use the same game disk on another device.
And Microsoft again gave much focus on gimmicky voice and gesture capabilities despite the warning of many tech insiders and game designers for the company not to shift away from core games and focus on other entertainment features, besides, who the hell outside America would care about (or get benefited) from the DVR thing and TV show features or ESPN, NFL, or other damned sport things they kept pushing during the reveal?!
Here is a rundown of the things and issues that went off regarding Xbox One, via NeoGaf user nib95:
- Forced online activation for all games
- Massive emphasis on TV, services and non game related focus
- Live TV services available in US only at launch, requires separate device
- No headset included
- Over emphasis on Kinect interface
- Xbox One not being backwards compatible with the 360 games or accessories.
- Microsoft’s failed attempts to correct PR with contradicting FAQ’s, vague responses, misinformation.
- DDR3 confirmed instead of GDDR5
- Potentially Only 5GB of the 8GB ram available for games
- Only HDMI for output.
- 3 OS’s? At best, confusing, at worst, a nightmare.
- Kinect needed to be plugged in for Xbox One to function
- Non-replaceable Hard Drive (though not as much an issue, as external drives are supported similar to other consoles)
Problems with the announcement itself:
- EA games prerendered using in game assets
- COD looked less than stellar
- Quantum break reveal was confusing
Unconfirmed issues that still need clarification:
- How much is this gonna cost?
- Complex used games system that is anti consumer?
- How the hell does game borrowing work?
- Charged fee for playing used games on non linked profile?
- Console that needs to be connected to internet every 24 hrs to play games? (Phil Harrison says one thing, ms backtracked a bit later)
- Console quite large whilst still also using quite a large external power brick? (Conflicting reports)